Lafarge Industrial Ecology(LIE) is a "Waste Management" specialized subsidiary of Lafarge Group that takes advantage of the unique opportunities of the cement industry to use waste in an environmentally safe and responsible manner.
LIE is backed by the experience of Lafarge operating in 64 countries.Out of 8,5 million Tons of waste recovered by the Lafarge Group in 2012, more than 800 000 T were shredded solid waste coming from Municipal, Industrial and Commercial wastes.Indeed, the cement plant process operates at a very high temperature compared to boilers or incinerators and is therefore able to combust difficult to burn fuels with no increase in emissions compared to fossil fuels.Adding value to waste by using it as alternative fuel or materials, makesit possible to:
1. Limit greenhouse gas emissions by reducing the use of nonrenewable natural raw materials and Fossil fuels (oil, coal, etc.)
2. Diversify energy resources and reduce energy costs by limiting dependence on the market for traditional fuels
3. Serve the community by recycling waste that would otherwise have to be processed and eliminated.
Lafarge has 8 golden rules in its Industrial Ecology Policy:
1. Protect the Health and Safety of our employees, contractors and local community
2. Respect the Environment
3. Guarantee the quality of our products
4. Have appropriate waste quality control
5. Have appropriate operational controls
6. Have full transparency with our stakeholders
7. Be recognized as a service provider
8. Sustainable biomass usage