This is lightweight concrete that is produced by the addition of a synthetic or protein based air entrainer which is added to the concrete with the use of a foam generator. The admixture entrains an inert bubble in the concrete thus reducing the density of the
The foam can be added at the plant if traveling time is less than 30 minutes or on site – it is however, preferable to add the foam on site.If adding on site water and electricity must be available.
Where to use:
Foam concrete can be used in the following applications:
- Filling of trenches in roadways.
- Filling of disused tanks.
- Void filling.
- Backfill below under floor heating.
- Lightweight topping and slopping layer.
- Arrestor beds, particularly airports.
- Quick setting (can be accelerated to allow for black-topping within 4 hrs.
- Low density.
- High workability.
- No compaction required.
- Super insulation properties, thermal conductivity (0.1- 0.3)W/m.k
- In case of trench re-instatement-no sagging afterwards.
- Overall lower maintenance costs.
- Cost effective solution.
- Time saving with backfilling.
- For specific strength and densities enable application of water proof membranes directly without screed protection
- Higher class of strength and or density can be achieved upon request.
Ultra foam concrete is not suitable for structure that may undergo chronic movement. Construction joints and tie holes require additional application. Details can be received from your Lafarge representative.
Before ultra foam concrete is used a detailed investigation must be undertaken to ensure that the structure will be waterproof. This must be done in conjunction with the consulting Engineer as certain design changes may be required.